Strategic Highway Research Program 2 (SHRP2): EconWorks and PlanWorks
In 2014, SRPEDD received one of FHWA's eight Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2) Round 4 national awards in the amount of $125,000 to study the wider economic benefits (W.E.B.s) of transportation investments. We were the only RPA in the nation to receive a C11 award in 2014. Thanks to the leadership and resources provided by FHWA and AASHTO, SRPEDD examined the Middleborough Rotary and the New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge using what are now called EconWorks W.E.B. tools. These spreadsheet-based toolsets are designed to quantify both standard traveler benefits and W.E.B.s (increased reliability, market access, and intermodal connectivity that can improve business productivity). The ability to quantify project benefits - and to compare them to project costs - will help the SMMPO prioritize and advocate for future TIP projects.
On April 2, 2016, SRPEDD partnered with Connecticut DOT and the Rhode Island Division of Planning to present our EconWorks W.E.B. work at the 2016 National American Planning Association conference in Phoenix, AZ. SRPEDD staff led this effort and the APA presentation.
In 2016, SRPEDD received another SHRP2 grant - one of five Round 7 national awards in the amount of $100,000 to utilize FHWA's PlanWorks Decision Guide. SRPEDD is currently using PlanWorks and our new EconWorks capacity to overhaul our Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) project evaluation. This project is ongoing and should be complete in early 2018.
Key documents from SRPEDD's SHRP2 work are available for download below. For more information, please contact Grant King, AICP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Special thanks are due to Brett Piercy, SRPEDD's Transportation and Economic Development Analyst, without whom our EconWorks efforts would have been impossible.
EconWorks Projects at SRPEDD
- Evaluation of EconWorks Wider Economic Benefits Analysis Tools Use for Benefit-Cost Analysis
(Final SHRP2 C11/EconWorks W.E.B. Report)
- Wider Economic Benefits of Trasportation (Presentation to the 2016 National American Planning Association Conference)
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Report 786: Assessing Productivity Impacts of Transportation Investments
- CT, MA, RI Session Proposal to APA
- FInal Draft SHRP2 C11/EconWorks W.E.B. Presentation
- SRPEDD Abridged W.E.B. Presentation to JTPG
- SRPEDD-FHWA SHRP2 C11 Statement of Work
DRAFT PlanWorks Projects at SRPEDD
This work will be finalized in early 2018.
- SRPEDD-FHWA SHRP2 C01 Statement of Work
- SRPEDD-FHWA SHRP2 C01 Performance Measures
- SRPEDD PlanWorks Database Memo (April 12, 2017)
- SRPEDD PlanWorks Database (April 12, 2017)
- SRPEDD PlanWorks Presentation to SMMPO (November 21, 2017)