The Town of North Attleborough participated in the MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program to make Complete Streets a part of daily practice. Complete Streets are roadways that safely and comfortably accommodate all users, regardless of age and ability or mode of transportation.
SRPEDD assisted the town in the development of a Complete Streets Prioritization Plan (list of projects) that will ultimately be used to apply for funding from MassDOT to begin the construction of projects on the plan. Additional information about the MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program and all project presentations, information, and resources can be found in the document library of this webpage.
The MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program was launched in February 2016 to provide technical assistance and construction funding to communities that demonstrate a commitment to include Complete Streets in policy and practice. In short, a community may be eligible for up to $400,000 in construction funding to implement Complete Streets elements in municipal projects and up to $50,000 in technical assistance funding in order to develop a plan to do so. The program is divided into three (3) “tiers” and a municipality must satisfy the requirements of the previous tier in order to advance through the program.
Tier 1 - Training & Policy Adoption
- Attendance at either an "Introductory" or "Advanced" Complete Streets Training (must be a municipal official/employee)
- Development and local adoption of a Complete Streets policy. Followed by submission to MassDOT for approval.
Tier 2 - Prioritization Plan Development
- Determination of Complete Streets needs and development of a prioritized list of infrastructure projects. Technical assistance available (up to $50,000 to develop the plan).
Tier 3 - Project Construction Funding
- Application for construction funding to implement the Complete Streets infrastructure projects on the Prioritization Plan.
Continue reading below to learn more about the MassDOT Complete Streets Program, North Attleborough's Complete Streets Policy, and the current project.
For more information, please review our project pages and/or contact Jed Cornock at 508.824.1367 x318.
North Attleborough contracted with SRPEDD to complete the town’s Prioritization Plan (Tier 2). This project was completed in June of 2018.
Phase I: Document Review/Data Compilation
SRPEDD staff reviewed all available studies and/or data from the town or other sources to ensure that future projects aligned with the town's goals and policies.
Phase II: Existing Conditions Evaluation
SRPEDD staff performed a comprehensive existing conditions evaluation that consisted of a: 1) Network Gap Analysis (location and feasibility of closing the gap), 2) an ADA Survey (sidewalk obstructions & slopes, curb ramps), 3) a Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Infrastructure Evaluation (presence & condition), and a Roadway & Intersection Crash Analysis (number & severity).
Phase III: Project Selection & Prioritization
SRPEDD staff developed a draft list of projects based on the data collected in Phase II and then scored each potential project using a comprehensive evaluation criterion (scoring system).
Phase IV: Draft & Final List of Projects
SRPEDD staff completed a Draft and Final list of projects (with cost estimates & construction schedule).
Phase V: Final Report
SRPEDD staff is currently developing the Needs Assessment & Prioritization Plan for the Town. This report will highlight the work that went into this project and will include the town's Prioritization Plan.
MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program
North Attleborough Complete Streets Program
- North Attleborough Complete Streets Policy
- North Attleborough Complete Streets Needs Assessment & Prioritization Plan
- North Attleborough Complete Streets Projects Map
Complete Streets Working Group Kick-Off Meeting (June 9, 2017)
- Kick-Off Meeting Presentation and Packet
Complete Streets Working Group Existing Conditions Evaluation Meeting (September 22, 2017)
- Existing Conditions Evaluation Presentation
Complete Streets Working Group Project Review & Selection Meeting (December 18, 2017)
- Project Review Handouts
Plans and Reports
- North Attleborough Master Plan (2014)
- North Attleborough Subdivision Rules and Regulations (2012)
- North Attleborough Open Space and Recreation Plan (2013)
- North Attleborough Zoning Bylaws (2017)