SRPEDD's work with the Strategic Highway Research Program 2 (SHRP2)
In 2014, SRPEDD received one of eight SHRP2 Round 4 national awards in the amount of $125,000 to study the wider economic benefits (W.E.B.s) of transportation investments. We were the only RPA in the nation to receive a C11 award. Thanks to the leadership and resources provided by FHWA and AASHTO, SRPEDD examined the Middleborough Rotary and the New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge using what are now called EconWorks W.E.B. tools. These spreadsheet-based toolsets are designed to quantify both standard traveler benefits and W.E.B.s (increased reliability, market access, and intermodal connectivity that can improve business productivity). The ability to quantify project benefits - and to compare them to project costs - will help the SMMPO prioritize and advocate for future TIP projects.
On April 2, 2016, SRPEDD partnered with Connecticut DOT and the Rhode Island Division of Planning to present our EconWorks W.E.B. work at the 2016 National American Planning Association conference in Phoenix, AZ. SRPEDD staff led this effort and the APA presentation.
Key documents from this work are available for download below. For more information, please contact Grant King, AICP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHRP2/EconWorks W.E.B. Documents
- Evaluation of EconWorks Wider Economic Benefits Analysis Tools Use for Benefit-Cost Analysis
(Final SHRP2 C11/EconWorks W.E.B. Report)
- Wider Economic Benefits of Trasportation (Presentation to the 2016 National American Planning Association Conference)
- CT, MA, RI Session Proposal to APA
- FInal Draft SHRP2 C11/EconWorks W.E.B. Presentation
- SRPEDD Abridged W.E.B. Presentation to JTPG
- SRPEDD-FHWA SHRP2 C11 Statement of Work