Welcome to the Marion Master Plan Home Page!
The Town of Marion is currently updating its Master Plan, the long term policy document that helps the community manage growth and change, preserve its natural resources, maintain public facilities and services, protect property rights, and build upon its strong character. The Planning Board is leading this update process. Its mission for the project is "to produce a Master Plan that will guide the community into the future with a plan of action that will sustain an economic direction and a sound quality of life for all Marion residents while preserving the Town’s natural and historic assets."
MANY THANKS to the approximately 50 residents who attended the recent Master Plan Workshop on Saturday, May 14, 2016 in the Marion Music Hall. Please see the document library for information about this event (information will be posted by Thursday, May 19) and the six Draft Master Plan elements ("chapters") that have already been completed.
Elements of the Master Plan
According to Massachusetts General Law, a Master Plan has nine required "elements" (or "sections"). Drafts of each element will be posted here as they are created. Feel free to comment on any part of the master plan using the comments board, below.
Use the discussion forum below to share your opinion and read others' (requires a free Gmail account to post). To start, click on a discussion topic and "reply" to one of the suggested questions or post on any other related issue. You may also post your ideas on the Marion Master Plan Facebook Page using your Facebook account. All input will be collected by the project team.
DISCLAIMER: This forum is intended for public use. Please identify yourself if you would like your comment to enter the public record. Please also remain polite and on point.
The interactive map below provides background information for your Master Plan. Use the links below this map to navigate to your town's other available maps. Be sure to click on the map features to access "info bubbles" containing more details.
Click here to view a Priority Area Map
The following documents provide background on the Marion Master Plan. Please click on a link and be sure to follow the instructions should the file be large.
Draft Master Plan Elements ("Chapters")
- Marion Master Plan Draft Elements Presentation Video
- Marion Master Plan Draft Elements Presentation (12 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
- Draft Master Plan Elements (Land Use, Economic Development, Housing, Transportation & Circulation, Services & Facilities, Climate Resilience)
- Draft Master Plan Elements Part 2 (Open Space & Recreation, Natural & Cultural Resources)
Workshop 1: September 27, 2014
- Marion Master Plan Discovery Workshop Report
- September 27, 2014 Workshop Comment Card
- September 27, 2014 Workshop Handouts
- September 27, 2014 Slideshow
Workshop 2: August 1, 2015
- Marion Master Plan Workshop 2 Report
- Marion Master Plan Land Use, Economic Development. and Climate Resiliency Presentation (100 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
- August 1, 2015 Workshop Agenda and Comment Card
- August 1, 2015 Workshop Flyer
- August 1, 2015 Workshop Comments
Workshop 3: October 24, 2015
- Marion Master Plan Workshop 3 Report
- Marion Master Plan Transportation and Services & Facilities Presentation (40 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
- October 24, 2015 Workshop Agenda and Comment Card
- October 24, 2015 Workshop Flyer
- October 24, 2015 Workshop Comments
- October 24, 2015 Workshop Comment Photos (90 MB; photos of notes taken at the Workshop; please allow sufficient time to download)
Open House: January 4, 2016
- Marion Master Plan Open House Video Recording
- Marion Master Plan Open House Presentation (12 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
Workshop: May 14, 2016
- Marion "Vision of Town" Diagram 2015
- Marion Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Maps (6 Maps, 80 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
- Marion Parcel and Orthophotography Map 2014
- Marion Land Use Map (FY 2014 Data)
- Marion Zoning Map 2015
- Marion Zoning Overlays Map 2014
- Marion Priority Area Map 2013
- Marion Water Resources Map 2014
- Marion Habitats Map 2014
- Marion "Protected Land" Map 2015
- Marion Town Facilities Map 2015
- Marion Sewer System Map 2015
- Marion Water System Map 2015
- Marion Major Intersections Map 2015
- Marion Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Map 2015
- Marion Roadway Jurisdiction Map 2015
Plans and Reports
- Marion Master Plan Discovery Workshop Report
- Marion 2013 Priority Development Areas (PDAs) and Priority Protection Areas (PPAs)
- Marion Town Web Site
- "Marion 2015" Plan